If you have healthy bones you will be able to provide a strong framework to the body as well as protect the internal organs and anchor the muscles well. Strong bones are required for one to maintain a good posture as well as strength and balance. There are certain key ingredients that need to be supplemented by diet in order to keep the bones strong and healthy. Calcium vitamins, fiber, phosphorous, magnesium, other minerals and protein are among the numerous nutrients which are especially applicable for bone health. If one consumes healthy food containing such nutrients they will be able to enjoy strong bones as well as reduce the chances of suffering from arthritis, inflammations, joint problems and others.
Calcium helps to build strong bones and when it comes to the best source of calcium, it is milk. Milk is known to contain other beneficial properties as well.
• Milk contains potassium, riboflavin, magnesium, phosphorus and vitamins A, D and B12.
• It is necessary to consume two glasses of milk daily for good health of bones and teeth
Children in their growing years need to drink a lot more milk. When one is an adult, as per preferences and weight considerations, one can choose between skim, full or low fat milk. If one is unable to have milk directly, they can add on nutritional supplements or make a smoothie to enjoy the benefits while having changed the taste.
Salmon is the fish to have when one wishes to increase bone strength.
• It is known to contain different nutrients which help to boost bone development like vitamin D, protein, calcium and omega—3 fatty acids
• Vitamin D helps in the absorption of calcium in the body
It has been seen that regular consumption of salmon helps to improve the bone density as well as bone accumulation. As it is also good for the heart, it should be made part of one’s weekly diet. It can be had in the grilled, baked or poached form in order to enjoy its goodness.
Cheese is another good source of calcium and other vital nutrients which can ensure healthy bones.
• It contains vitamins A, D, potassium, riboflavin, protein, magnesium, vitamin B12 and phosphorous
• Cheese being low in lactose content, it is best for those who are unable to have milk due to lactose intolerance
When it comes to cheese, there are different kinds to opt for such as goat cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella and others. One should consume small amount of cheese on a regular basis in order to enjoy its benefits.
When you are trying to ensure healthy bones, you need to consider all the different by products of milk including yogurt.
• It is a good source of calcium
• If one consumes one cup of yogurt they will have fulfilled their daily calcium requirements
• Yogurt contains other minerals and vitamins like magnesium, protein, phosphorus, riboflavin, potassium, vitamins A,D,B12
Today Greek yogurt is popular in the market. This form of yogurt is known to contain higher amount of protein and lower levels of calcium and vitamin D. Thus, one will gain better benefits for their bones if they consume the plain form of yogurt.
- Sesame Seeds
Those who wish to have a healthy framework of bones need to consume sesame seeds regularly.
• Sesame seeds contain nutrients like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins like D and K
• One will be able to reap the benefits if one forth of a cup of these crunchy seeds is consumed
- Collard Greens
This green and leafy vegetable contains many benefits for strong bones.
• It contains calcium in good measure along with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin K and magnesium
• It has anti bacterial, anti diabetic and anti cancer properties
One should consume collard greens as one cupful everyday or several times in a week to reap its health benefits.
Spinach is another great choice of green vegetable to incorporate in one’s diet to have strong bones.
• It is a good source of fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron, vitamins like A and C
• A cup of spinach will provide one fourth of the daily requirement of calcium
One can add it to their cooked vegetable dishes as well as have it boiled, grilled or added to salads and side dishes. When combined with other leafy greens as the following, it will fortify one’s diet for strong bones:
• Chinese cabbage
- White Beans
While legumes are good for health, white beans in particular ensure healthy bones.
• Good amount of calcium, essential minerals, fat free protein and fiber is contained from white beans
• Minerals like potassium, magnesium and phosphorous is obtained from it
When it comes to soy food it is a great choice to make, specially if one wishes to gain healthy and strong bones.
• Tofu contains high levels of calcium as well as plant based chemicals like isoflavones
• Half cup of tofu provides 800 milligrams of calcium
• Those who are lactose intolerant and cannot consume dairy products can take up tofu which is a soy milk based product
One can have tofu in cooked form or as plain added to vegetables or salads.